In October of 2010 (14 months ago) I embarked on a project that I titled “Handbag Confessional”. I dumped the contents of my purse, catalogued everything, and set off to become a more organized person, by way of designing a perfect receptacle. Many things have changed since then, including a pronounced shift toward capitalization in writing. But guess what hasn’t changed!? You guessed it. The bag I carry right now is even less adept at keeping my shit together. It’s a big abysmal sack with a ripped lining.
The first thing you notice here is how dark it is in there. You’d think I was a big fan of blindly fishing around for things in the dark, but I’m totally not. Another less-obvious thing is that the opening of this bag is narrower than the base. While stylistically cute, it’s the functional equivalent of a crab trap. But what’s really alarming is the contents.
- Tin foil/sack for 3-d glasses
- Headband (gives me a headache when I wear it)
- USB drive
- Stack of napkins
- Boise Weekly (from 2 weeks ago)
- Card case (with cards in it!)
- One rogue sunglasses lens
- A quarter
- A bobbin case
- More chapstick
- Nail polish
- Miscellaneous receipts, business cards, ticket stubs
- A bunch of little mints (Or are they pills? Just popped ’em all, stay tuned)
- Stack of bills and other mail (Heyyyyy, parking ticket. There you are)
- Not pictured: phone + keys
We all know what needs needs to be done. Maybe it’ll really happen this time. Wish me luck.